Saturday, March 15, 2008

The life of a NICU mom

It's exhausting.

It's emotional.

It's overwhelming.

But the wee one is a superstar! She had surgery on Thursday to repair the diaphragmatic hernia, and she's done so well! The doctors and nurses keep telling us how great she is doing, considering how sick most babies with diaphragmatic hernia's usually are. She didn't even need to go on ECMO (a heart and lung by-pass system that they typically need).

AND, she might finally get to come off the ventilator tomorrow!!! Then we'll be able to hear her again (haven't heard her since her first few cries in the delivery room!).

We've been lucky enough to be allowed to hold her twice - and both times it was heaven.

I just love her so much it makes me cry. I just can't wait until we can take her home with us. Day by day she gets stronger. So keep those positive vibes coming our way, because they seem to be working! :)


9 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

Sending some more good vibes your way, and hoping your wee one will be home with you soon.

post-doc said...

I can't imagine how overwhelming this all must be. But you and the wee one are superstars! I hope it gets so much easier and calmer very soon. Many good wishes and prayers until then. And, my goodness, look at her hair! She's gorgeous!

Mimi said...

Good vibes, good vibes. I'm am also TRYING not to comment on her luscious hair: everyone was always remarkign on Munchkin's hair, and it freaked me out a bit.

I'm so happy she's doing so well! What progress! Every day must bring you a little more relief, and then a little more. She's a darling, beautiful and strong. She'll be home with you soon!

DrOtter said...

She's so beautiful. I'm glad the surgery went well and send many, many good wishes your way.

ScienceWoman said...

I'm glad things are going well. We'll keep sending good vibes your way.

Julie R said...

Sending good vibes from a former NICU mommy. The days are tough, but hang in there, it will be over before you realize it.

Your little one is beautiful. I'm glad the surgery went well.

Astronomum said...

More good vibes. My little one was born unexpectedly at 35 weeks (last March) and spent 10 days in the NICU, so I have some insight as to how hard this is on you. It feels like forever now, but in a few months it will seem like it passed in a flash. Best of luck.

ScienceMama said...

She looks even more beautiful, and even stronger!

I know it's probably so hard not being able to hold her yet, but soon she'll be in your arms!

*Hugs and Love*

The bean-mom said...

Add me on to the chorus of good vibes. Your daughter is just beautiful! I hope that it will be soon that you can hold her as much as you please!